Today i was reading my RSS feeds and got this intresting article describing the status of social network’s in india.
The article mainly states that orkut is still leading the India market and facebook (world no 2) is still no where to be close to orkut in India.
The reason for low usage of facebook in india is basically for few reason’s that i found while using facebook as well as orkut both.
1) orkut is more popular due to its straight forward approach, it offer’s limited features only.
2) most orkut user’s are just chat freaks and are their only for fun and time pass.
3) orkut captures a large crowd from college students who love to sneak and peak in others profile (got this point from one of the comment in the article above.)
4) facebook is a heavy site, specially if you have more then 30-40 apps installed, (mainly due to its AJAX style good for DSL connection but appears to be a pain in A** for the dialup users)
BUT there are a lot of reason’s which put facebook as my preference.
1) It provides privacy, more then what i can expect in orkut.
2) with its app base used properly you can create a virtual home for you in their, like i keep a tab of my movies as well as music with two apps flixter’s movie app and iLike app for facebook.
3) i am a social networker with my orkut profile reaching the 400 mark and my facebook profile now reaching close to 75, but still i prefer networking with people with whom i can interact and gain something from this interaction. and in this case i find facebook to be of much help.
Ex: i took an IQ test and now i can search for people with IQ level equal to me or greater then me, and then a simple message let me in.
4) Another great feature of facebook which many user’s in India are largely unaware of is photo tagging,by which you can tag each individual face on your pic collection with a name.
These are few of my finding’s
many people might disagree with me, and many might agree with me.
also for your references.
My orkut profile
My facebook profile
As per some comments on this post i am making a clarification here,
As per akhil’s comment
1) well if you compare not able to check on other people’s profile without their permission is a hard head, then check it back on the critisim of facebook section, ther main concern is privacy only.
take for example email theft, any programmer with a bit of knowledge of data mining can get a lot more then just thousands of email id’s on orkut within few hours time coz mails are in plaintext format, compared to facebook which uses pic’s to show mail id.
regarding virtual home concept
2) well for the virtual home case, my point is our first network begin’s at our home and how we establish it by liking few and disliking few how his liking and disliking came in, they came by thier behaviour towards us or other’s as well as their liking and disliking.
In the same way facebook helps you to communicate with your friends circle not as a different id’s but as different person’s.
3) and for the privacy issue and regarding that article, that privacy concern is regarding the facebook owner’s side and not from the user’s point of view.
and to check some for the orkut side, check you orkut account and see that the ad’s displayed are content sensitive, (a google speciality), did you tried to guess how it comes from, and don’t you thing it is too easy for someone who stores your data to use it in what ever way he may like.
http://www.google-watch.org/krane.html : another good read out for those concerned with privacy.
On a side note, besides orkut or facebook,
now a days creating an online persona of yourself is not a big deal if you go with proper channel.
you can start with simple web site taking design help from this place. and if you wish to have an interactive site the best bet as of now is to go with blogging, when it comes to blogging you can start with a small web host plan from a reliable provider like bluehost. and when you thing you have got enough grip of the things and wish to expend more then you can have a dedicated server very easily, now a days if you wish to start blogging you can easily get your host set-up as well as complete site up and running with in half an hour time gap. but a word of caution before diving deep into the world of blogging please have a close look at this ACT CONCERNING ONLINE ADVERTISING AND PRIVACY.
BEST OF LUCK WITH YOU SELECTION
8 thoughts on “facebook or orkut choice to be made”
well a very well researched article
hey anant whatever u wrote is a kind of research but does not make asense of hoe facebook is useful
1) if privacy is concerned orkut is also developing some sort of it
but high privecy in facebook result in hard head social network site
orkut is quit smooth as compared to facebook.
2) ya virtual home is good but that does not imply it to be a social networking site its just a good sites character thats all.
3) no no no privacy in facebook
privacy has many parameters buddy its not what u only define
there many problems in facebook privacy
for information i have got something for u ( get the taste of them meat)
hello akhil thanks for visiting, and commenting updated the main post to clarify your doubts (no offences meant buddy.)
also i would again like to assert that these are my own opinion’s as well as its my finding’s which forced me to prefer facebook.
I haven’t read the criticism, but here’s few of my own. The most obvious ones so I know they would be there.
1. No https:// so everything is in plaintext.
2. The way it takes contacts from your mailing list.
I’m sure there are many more.
/me resignedly goes to look at the criticism of facebook article ;(
I’m wary of using any online social network, especially since it is impossible to fully delete your information once it is on the internet. And Facebook is starting to get bloated and greedy.
information on social netoworking is a emeging one. you have provided very realistic way to take forward
I spend a lot of time reading blogs and I have to say I’m impressed with your posts. It’s refreshing to find a blog that has valuable content such as yours. I’ll be a regular reader from now on, you can count on it.
A really nice post with good insight. Facebook looks like its years ahead of Orkut on a global level.
Comments are closed.